Saturday, December 22, 2012

Tough Love


During this year of blogs, I have told a lot of stories about my father.  His presence consumed my childhood.  He was difficult, strict, judgmental, and closed-minded.  It made growing up very difficult.  As a child, you are hardwired to want to please your parents and there was just no pleasing him.  When I got straight As he would complain that there was no room for improvement.  A 97 on an exam was not acceptable if someone else achieved a 98.  If I had a triumphant piano performance he would ask what I was going to do tomorrow to top it.  He had a short fuse that could ignite without warning.  Whoa be to he who became caught in his crosshairs. 

Despite how hard he was on me, I never doubted that he loved me with every inch of his being.  This was obvious when I met any of his friends, who seemed, over the years, to know more about my accomplishments than my father ever acknowledged to my face.  They must have doubted the existence of the far-away daughter who led a charmed life of top schools, glamorous concert venues, and the fast pace of corporate life.  He made me sound unreal.  It took well into my 40s before he would ever admit that he was proud of me.

I remember when I was very young—the only girl of my family’s generation—having a very peculiar exchange with my father.   Pointedly, he made me promise that no matter what, I would always be his little girl.   He made me say it, “I promise I will always be your little girl.”  Then he underscored it by saying, “Someday you will want to tell me that you aren’t my little girl any more.  You can NEVER say that now.”  At the time, it seemed like a ridiculous conversation to me.  I was oblivious to the manipulative undertones of such a statement, but he understood what I was then too young to understand.  The day would come when I could no longer be held to that promise. 

My father loved testing people.  A man of strong and slanted positions, he would try to outwit people in arguments, proving that his opinions were right.  He would twist things so that even when he was dead wrong, he retained the ability to justify his own righteousness to himself.  He had a way of creating conflict where none was necessary—feeling at his most comfortable and superior in the throes of verbal battle.  What he perceived as his greatest strength, I came to recognize as his greatest weakness.  His scheme went awry when my husband entered the picture.  Tom was a man of his own mind, not subject to the power my father had cultivated over his family.   My father tried again and again to dominate us, or to divide us against each other.  My father was never able to convince my husband to take his side against me.   It was the end of a relationship based on manipulation and dominance.  Inevitably, my father had to be told, “I am not your little girl anymore.”  It wounded him deeply, as I knew it would; however, when he recovered we began a different sort of relationship.  I won’t say that he ever saw me as an equal, but he did begin to see me as an adult.

Through the years, we had a lot of fun with my father.  My husband and he developed a close relationship of shared interests, including skiing and mixing the perfect dry martini.  My children anticipated a visit from ‘Grampa’ the way most kids look forward to Santa Claus.  They loved his excessive bear hugs and wrestling with him on the floor.  He loved to go to my son’s youth hockey games or to watch my daughter figure skate.  He was larger than life and full of laughs.  He turned to my husband for his extensive oral surgery needs, declaring my husband to be “the best doctor he knows.” 

We lost my father nearly three years ago, well before his time.  I will always remember vividly the challenges of being his daughter, but I also remember a man who loved with all his heart.  Even when I feared my father the most, I never doubted the depth of his love.  It was his way.  And as much as I wanted him to accept me for the person I am, I had to learn to love him as he was.  Strangely, that was the easy part.

No comments:

Post a Comment