Friday, December 28, 2012

The New Bucket List


I’ve always been a big “Bucket Lister.”  Recently, however, I realize that my bucket list is way out of date.  I have been so busy juggling what is on my plate that I have neglected to dream on for the future.  Many items that had previously been key motivators for me (return to piano and give a public performance, take my daughter to Greece, become a writer, perform Chopin’s b-minor Sonata) have found their way off the list and into my life’s story.   There are two things you can do when this happens.  You can live with the knowledge that your bucket list is exhausted (and the psychological consequences thereof), or you can add more things to the list. 

I choose the latter.  There is no point in dwelling on the possibility that the best years are behind.  It is simply time to fill up the life ahead with more dreams and goals.  I choose to interpret the fact that I have achieved so many of my goals as a life well-lived (rather than as a life mostly spent).  This latter phase of my life reflects an adjustment in my circumstances.  For example, I no longer live to see my children installed in the colleges of their choosing.  Instead, I hope to see them accomplished in their professional goals, situated in loving, lasting relationships, and developing an independence and fulfillment of their own.  I also hope to live to hold my grandchildren—and while that seems to imply some urgency, I am really in no hurry given my children’s current stages in life.

It is probably no surprise to anyone who knows me that most of my dreams and wishes involve my children.  But a bucket list should be personal and selfish—otherwise, what is the point?  So given the proximity to New Year’s Day, (and we all know what happened when I made resolutions LAST New Year,) I have decided to renovate my Bucket List.   And a word to my husband:  you are welcome to join me on any or all of these journeys.

1)       I want to visit Alaska.  For some reason, Alaska is always on our vacation short list but never becomes a planned destination.  My husband is from the Pacific Northwest, so perhaps Alaska is not as exotic a destination for him as it is for me.  I love mountains and glaciers.  I love taking real “discover America” trips.  I want to see bears and caribou and the Aurora Borealis.  I love eating salmon and halibut.  I prefer cold destinations with snow to beaches and tropical climes.  I want to visit Alaska while I still have the stamina (and the joints) to enjoy it.

2)       I want to prepare and perform an all-Chopin recital.  Chopin is a pianist’s composer, but many of his pieces are over-done and even shunned by audiences.  Still, there is much richness in the lesser-played pieces of his vast collection of compositions.  For me, playing Chopin is story-telling.  His pieces capture the fragility of his failing health, the vulnerability of his circumstances as an expatriate, and the reflection of the larger-than-life characters that inhabited his life (Georges Sand and Franz Liszt among them).  To do them justice requires great physical strength and broad emotional availability.  It is hard live in that space (for the time it takes to accomplish the task) without being profoundly altered by it.

3)      I want to renovate a loft space as a general contractor.  My husband and I have always lived in old homes, so I have come to enjoy tearing down walls and renovating them room by room.  We are reaching the point where our home is too large and impractical for our current circumstances.  We have been talking about going sleek and urban.  I would love to find some up-and-coming industrial space that I can design for our specific needs (gourmet kitchen, recital parlor, library, master retreat—and I suppose some space for when the kids visit).  I derive particular joy from sourcing fixtures, knobs, and reclaimed materials while parlaying the savings into top quality kitchen appliances.

4)      I want to see The Last Supper, Leonardo daVinci’s masterpiece in tempera and gesso, before it fades from the walls of the humble convent of Santa Maria della Grazie in Milan. 

5)      I want to complete the novel that I sketched out three years ago.  It now has a different form than I originally planned—the result of a year spent writing daily.  I would like to find the time and the focus to embark on such a large-scale project. 

6)      I want to go to art school.  I have studied lots of things in my life, but my first love was always art.  Long before I became accomplished at music, I wanted to be an artist.  Today, I tinker with lots of crafts, loving to make things “with my hands.”  If I have one regret, it is that I never took art lessons.  I have always felt that I possess the soul of an artist, but I have always been lacking the essential skills.  I would love to experience the discipline of drawing classes, honing my eye, my sense of form, and the conviction of my (shaky) line. 

7)      I want to start some sort of a company that harnesses the creative power of my closest friends—brilliant 50-something women with a wide variety of backgrounds, interests, and experiences.  Together, we have the bench strength of any Fortune 100 company.  We ought to be able to combine the best of us into something that will bring value to some segment of the world.

There is more where this list comes from, but it is a start.  This ought to keep me busy for at least another twenty years.

No comments:

Post a Comment