Sunday, December 30, 2012

The Bloggy Awards


As this blog-a-day challenge winds to a close, I thought it would be fun to honor some of the dedicated readers who have been loyal companions on this this long journey as well as some of the memorable moments along the way. 

The first award goes to Jack Grippo, a beloved high school math teacher to me and to so many others.  His untimely passing during this blog year was the inspiration for the blog:  “If You Don’t Know Math, You Don’t Know Jack.”  Thanks to a surprising shout out and share from Sue Eder on a NMB thread, this blog received the greatest number of hits by far.  I am glad that so many people shared my love for this quirky little man.  I am proud to have given voice to our collective respect and adoration for a man who dedicated himself to inspiring kids to accept math into their lives.

The “best sport” award goes to my mother-in-law, Arlene, who inspired the blog “Mother-In-Law Diplomacy.”  Her good sense of humor allowed me to call her out for a meal that is etched in my memory—but not my taste buds—for all time.  She is kind enough to know that I would never laugh “at” her, and therefore enjoyed laughing along at something that was really the stuff of which good comedy is made.  Truth, as they say, is better than fiction.

The “exploding raspberry” award goes to the blog “It’s Not Easy Getting Clean,” in which I lampooned myself for my own inability to confront my housekeeper about her lazy cleaning habits.  Even as I write this blog, she is five hours late showing up to clean on her designated day.  This blog hit a sour note, apparently failing to register its tongue-and-cheek voice among many readers who took exception to everything from my management skills to my treatment of a human being as an employee.  (One person went so far as to suggest that I must elevate this woman’s humanity by coddling her and then hiring someone else to do the actual work so that she could be relieved of such a burden.  I vote for the solution where she actually does what she is paid to do—like all of the rest of us.) 

The “Broken Heart” award goes to the blog “A Final Bow for Eddie Alberts,” written about a close family friend whose musical genius was an important part of my life.  His untimely and unexpected death moved me deeply.  I was thankful to be able to use this blog to communicate to his family what he meant to me.

The “Mommadods Cheering Squad” award goes to a group of incredible women who have not only read most of these blogs, they let me know by hitting Like or leaving comments regularly.  This includes both Janes, Donna, Christie, Gigi, Susan, and Patti.   Without feedback, blog writing leaves a writer feeling like the proverbially tree that falls in the woods.  Their participation and constant dialog let me know that my voice is making a sound.  Truly, I cannot begin to express what their support has meant to me.  (I'll include you, Jim, if you don't mind the image of your shaking pom-poms with a team of women.)

There were several awards that were not chosen to be broadcast on the live show.  They were awarded in a private ceremony at an earlier date.  These include the “Get Your Own Blog” award, the “You Can’t Criticize What You Haven’t Read” award, and the “It’s My Life, Not Yours” award.

For my special “In Memoriam” feature, I want to recognize some beautiful people who passed through my life but have not lived to read about it.  My dear father and my amazing grandparents left me with rich and colorful memories.  For many of the tales involving them, I am not the author, merely the storyteller.

A few final awards.  The “I May Not Always Be Right, But I’ll Always Be Writing” award is given in honor of my children.  Their presence in my life enriches every moment.  Nothing fascinates me more than watching them develop into adulthood.  I am proud of their values, their accomplishments, and their constant love.  I am grateful that they have let me tell their stories along with my own, and in particular, to reveal struggles that may inspire others.  You are my heroes.

And finally, the “Thanks for Keeping the Bed Warm” award goes to my devoted husband, who was not consulted before I jumped into this endeavor at 11:40pm last New Year’s Eve.  He has endured this long year with grace and courage, one day at a time.  He has allowed me to poke fun at everything from the way he acts to the way he dresses without so much as a stern countenance.   His support for all I do is rare and greatly treasured. 

We are almost out of time, folks.  Cue the music.  Roll the credits.

No comments:

Post a Comment