Monday, October 1, 2012

Wireless Has Its Wires Crossed


Wireless service carriers seem to encompass an economy all their own, exempt of most standards of fair play.  I was an early adopter of portable phone technology, having been graced with a car-phone-in-a-bag as a present for a thirty-something birthday.  Over the years, these phones have become untethered, smaller, lighter, and smarter.  The one thing they have never become is cheaper.  Despite spiraling technological advances that make nanochips virtually free, the promise of “more for less” cannot seem to win a battle against the need to continuously increase corporate profits.

It started with nearly-free phones.   Wireless service providers care only about recurring service revenue streams, so they started to give phones away just to get people to sign service contracts.  Then a funny thing happened.  People stopped using the phone part and started flooding every available inch of bandwidth with texts.  The phone itself became an important personal appliance, multitasking so many of life’s trivial details.  Eventually, the phone became a platform, the competitive feature that distinguished service providers.  Consumers chose providers by the coolness factor of the phones that were compatible with their services.  Even Apple was forced to give in to Verizon, marrying the most sought-after phone with the most ubiquitous service carrier.

Then, the technology of phones began spiraling out of control, creating new “must-haves” every fifteen minutes.  The business shifted away from capturing new cell phone users and signing up new customers.  The market is now glutted with people who swear allegiance to a preferred carrier lest they suffer a $175 termination fee.  All we want is the latest and greatest new phone.  That’s when wireless carriers got cocky.  Phones are no longer incentives for attracting customers.  They are torture devices with which to abuse existing customers, causing us to jump through whatever hoops they throw in our path just to get our hands on the latest phone.  We have all become slaves to the “eligible for upgrade” date on our contracts, counting the months and days until we can renew ourselves with the latest “precious.” 

This system works well enough for most people; but like all things in our society there is an oppressed minority lurking under the surface.  The moms of the world are suffering under a cell-phone-dominated regime.   Women like me, who anchor a share plan that extends to their kids, are exploited to their own detriment.  Until very recently, I carried an LG flip phone with 9-key texting ability devoid of smart features while my children sported iPhones and Blackberrys.  What could I do?  Their friends all drive Porsches!  

We had staggered upgrade dates on our phones, always anticipating an upgrade window in the near future.  Eagerly, I planned my ascent into modern times, hoping that when the next upgrade date arrived I could finally have a device with a colored screen and a full texting keyboard.  I always knew the exact date, counting silently and patiently as it approached and trying not to jinx it.  But without fail, when the date arrived, one of my kids would have a phone disaster:  this one had theirs stolen on campus, that one dropped theirs in the toilet.   My dreams were dashed, causing me to bury my dumb device deep into my purse with shame as I allowed my children to beam with joy at their hip new phones.  It was sad, but it was also my own fault.  There is nothing I won’t do for my kids.

Last year, as my baby was leaving for college with a cracked screen on her blackberry and intermittently-performing buttons, I called Verizon to see what was available.  All kids need to start college with a clean slate, I reasoned.  We were able to get a comparable phone for a reasonable price, but once again an upgrade slot was stolen from me, pushing out the next upgrade date deep into 2013.  Exasperated, I broke down, whining and whimpering to the sympathetic saleswoman about my dashed hopes and crushed dreams.  I so wanted an iPhone.  I had been a customer of theirs for 13 years, I argued, and I was still using a phone I acquired 8, maybe 9 years earlier.  I explained that every upgrade had gone to my children; while away at college I needed them to have capabilities that made it easy to receive frequent texts from me.  Surely I wasn’t the only mother in this predicament.  Surely they had heard this tune before. 

My pleas did not fall on deaf ears.  This sales person was a mother herself and she understood.  She put me on hold for a very long time, but when she came back on the line she told me that her manager had authorized an iPhone for me at the discounted price.  I was not entitled to an upgrade, but they made an exception.  The corporate giant had a momentary lapse into humanity.  I swore allegiance up and down as they explained that the new contract terms had upped the early termination fee from $175 to $350.  I did not mind the $30 per month charge for each smartphone on top of the $120 monthly service fee.  I paid an extra fee to buy unlimited text for us all.  I did not care what it cost; I wanted ‘happy’ and discovered that there was, indeed, an app for that!

But that was last year.  Now there is a new beauty in town and I want her number: “5”.  I bit the bullet and placed the call to Verizon to discover what fresh hell I must endure.  Whatever love I had for them a year ago was quickly forgotten as I was treated to a laundry list of can’ts and won’ts.  My existing contract, which I had agreed to keep until the next millennium, is no longer valid.  To get a new phone I must switch to a new plan with a new list of terms and conditions.  Gone is the unlimited text plan.  I must now purchase cyberspace by the gigabyte.  If I do not purchase a healthy enough plan, the cost for inadvertently exceeding the allowance is twice the price of purchasing the next level of coverage.  And now when you upgrade a phone on the allowed upgrade date, they charge a $35 “activation fee.”   This is basically a tax on exercising your right to purchase a new phone.  I guess Verizon figured out that while the hardware vendors were discounting the phones, the service providers were doing all the work of the upgrades.  And the most fascinating part of all is that while the discounted iPhone is only $199, they charge sales tax on the full retail price of the phone.

Choking down the remorse I knew I would feel and rationalizing that my birthday is just around the corner, I agreed to everything and ordered my new iPhone 5, determined to enjoy the status of having the best phone in the family (when it finally ships next month).  I added up the list of charges and considered what type of car such a monthly payment could secure.  I thought of the poorer neighborhoods through which I have driven, noting how often I see kids with better phones than mine.  What does it say about us as a society that we put so much emphasis on these little power boxes?  What power does technology wield to defy all reason, to upend priorities, to shift our human values?  It was then I realized that I do not need this silly toy.  I picked up the phone to cancel my order.  As I slid the lock open and searched the recent call list, I planned a graceful retreat that would restore order to my life and self-respect to my aura.

But just as quietly, I hit End before the call went through.  I shook my head, took a deep breath, and went back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment