Saturday, October 20, 2012

Jet Blue, Good for You


I have been wondering whether air travel will ever be pleasant again.  After eleven years of heightened security with a series of increasingly humiliating restrictions—confiscate your liquids, take off your belt, put your hands over your head, submit to pat down—I am afraid of what will happen next should there be (G-d forbid) another “event.”  Of course there has been little improvement in the usual and customary variables of travel.  The airlines still lose baggage, overbook, and understaff the ticket counters.  I try to avail myself of all the new technologies that are designed to streamline travel.  Despite advance check-in and barcodes on my iphone, I still find endless lines at the “bag-drop” while agents insist on issuing a paper boarding pass.

Today I was pleasantly surprised to board a Jet Blue plane for the opposite coast only to find that my low expectations were vastly exceeded.  The head flight attendant greeted us with an extemporaneous outpouring of enthusiasm and welcome.  Rather than the expected vapid airline script, he just spoke to the passengers.  He let us know that there were two other airlines with planes leaving for the same destination at the same time and that he was glad that we chose his airline.  Furthermore, he indicated that it was his personal goal that the 150 passengers on this flight would never choose to fly those other guys.

How did he expect to earn our loyalty?  With fabulous service and an array of amenities.  He described the entertainment system, including the wide range of movies and TV shows.  He indicated that most of the food items on board were free, and that we were entitled to as much and as many of the choices as we pleased.  To facilitate this they would serve us in the early hour of the flight, and then he would set up bar carts at either end so that we could simply help ourselves.  He made these announcements while making strong eye contact with passengers throughout the cabin.

As the flight attendants passed through the cabin to ensure that personal items were properly stowed, they were pleasant and personable, carrying on conversations that brought passengers together in a convivial way.  It was infectious.  Late boarding passengers were polite, apologizing when they required an aisle passenger to stand to allow them to squeeze into an interior seat.  My neighboring passengers, as well as those in the rows ahead and behind me, were all exchanging pleasantries as they helped one another to stow items safely and comfortably. 

I contrast this with other flights I have taken lately.  I am a Million Miler on Delta, which tells you something about my allegiance to that airline—particularly in their non-unionized, pre-9/11 glory days.  But my last Delta flight horrified me.  They have replaced the human touch with video deliveries of all pertinent information, allowing the flight attendants to busy themselves with paperwork and other administrivia in the cabin.  The passengers all but ignored the video, which starred a sad looking botox-and-collagen-injected creature of indeterminate age.

Maybe I am just slightly elated because the serendipity of strong tail winds has our flight arriving a full hour early.  Maybe the inconvenience of air travel has hit such a low that any ray of sunshine seems like a meteor shower.  Or maybe we are so starved for real customer service these days that any effort to make a human connection is a salve to the spirit.  All I know is that it feels good to be treated like a valued customer.  The next time I need to go somewhere I will start with Jet Blue.  And if they don’t go where I am heading, perhaps I will consider a different destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment