Tuesday, October 9, 2012

A Goliath Among Pilgrimages

Growing up I always thought of myself as hopelessly anachronistic.  I prefer classical music to The Who, Jane Austen to Stephen King, and Masterpiece Theatre to Monday Night Football.  My life has been spent looking backward in awe of the monuments and milestones of man more so than forward at the latest techno gadget or fashion trend.  For this reason, I am a sucker for travel.  It is not enough for me to study the past; I long to visit the shrines of civilization in situ, extracting from them what inspiration they care to impart to me.

Most people call it a bucket list—a defined set of “things” to do before you, er, kick the bucket.   My bucket list is actually a set of pilgrimages.  There are places, as well as landmarks of human and artistic achievement, that have inspired or driven me since childhood.  Numbering just over a dozen, these are not simply destinations for me.  I journey as a mission-driven pilgrim to these sites, seeking meaning and ruminating on the significance of the moment.  In practice, I love to build anticipation, lapping up every relevant fact, myth, and urban legend, and then, after much anticipation, set out in the early hours to face the object of my obsession.  

Over the years, I have journeyed like this to many places that have meaning or fascination for me—either for their geographical or historical importance—knocking off the bulk of my sacred list.   My list contains works of art, ancient wonders, as well as geographical spots.  I do not pay much attention to internal consistency of my list.  It becomes a pilgrimage if it speaks to me.  For example, my visit to the Berlin Wall was fascinating, but not a pilgrimage.  On the other hand, a thrilling moment for me was standing with my husband and just-turned-one son on the Four Corners, a point where you can stand simultaneously in Colorado, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico (now how cool is that?)

My pilgrimages have included seeing the Book of Kells at Trinity College in Dublin, an illuminated manuscript of the Four Gospels dating back to 800.  I journeyed to the acropolis to see the Parthenon (twice), but had to add another pilgrimage to the British Museum to see that same ancient temple’s priceless Elgin Marbles, stolen by the English for safekeeping.  I derive a particular joy from seeing the enduring qualities of centuries-old man-made achievements.  I love the persistence of the things themselves, as well as participating in mankind’s preservation of history and treasure.

It was very moving to be able to stand at the Western Wall, tucking a private prayer in the crevices among so many others.  I also felt a spiritual and intellectual calling to visit certain monuments of other faiths.  Hagia Sofia in Istanbul, as well as Notre Dame and Chartres in France, were artistic and architectural icons that made for moving personal pilgrimages.

Today was another of those long-awaited days of pilgrimage.  Although it is hyped beyond reason in Italy, I have yearned for decades to cast my eyes upon Michelangelo’s David.  Certainly there are enough photos and websites and reproductions to keep any girl happy, but I needed to feel the spirit of David up close and personal.  In truth, the city of Florence is an embarrassment of artistic treasures each as beautiful and significant as Michelangelo’s young hero.  But I think of David the way most women my age think about George Clooney.  I am here in Florence to see him.

David was originally sculpted to stand at the entrance to the Palazzo Vecchio, where now a superfluous reproduction stands mockingly.  Dozens of tourists snap their cameras at the faux David; I wonder how many of them think they are seeing the real thing.  The real man is the showpiece of the Galleria dell’Accademia, a building that was formerly the workshop of Michelangelo and others.  There, he is displayed upon a high pedestal much as he was intended as an outside sculpture, but he is protected from the elements as well as the constant shock of flash bulbs.

I always worry that my quest will end with disappointment.  Some works of art, such as the Mona Lisa at the Louvre, or American Gothic at the Chicago Art Institute, end up being much smaller in real life that you imagine when you see them in books.  The sculpture of David is just the opposite.  Mere photographs cannot do justice to the power of this figure.  Reaching 17 feet high, the larger than life hero seems more like Goliath than the diminutive boy who felled him with a rock. 

David’s physique is not only beautiful (yeah, he’s a hunk!) it is carved purposely in such fascinating detail.  With a 360-degree view, I was able to see for the first time the story that Michelangelo is telling.  David is standing on his right leg, his slingshot draped over his left shoulder.  He looks to his left, sighting his oversized opponent.  The leg that bears his weight ripples with muscle flexion.  The veins in his right hand dilate as he fingers the fatal stone.  With his left foot, his toes curl to grasp the ground beneath him, readying himself to transfer his weight from one leg to the other.  I can imagine the movement as he follows through with the attack, hurling the rock and striking the target.

I was elated to circle around and around David, barely able to believe I was finally standing there.  I tried to imagine the rectangular chunk of marble on which Michelangelo toiled to liberate this image.  In the pathway leading up to David, there are several unfinished sculptures, those that Michelangelo abandoned, the promise of an image stillborn in stone.

But the day was bittersweet.  Even as I crossed another pilgrimage off my list, I realized that there are so few items remaining.  It is another subtle reminder that the years are piling on.  Perhaps I should consider it a sign of a life well-lived and look forward for once—to those items that have been hard to cross off.  The remaining destinations:  Falling Water, the Great Wall of China, the Pyramids, and a Concentration Camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment