Thursday, October 4, 2012

Pasta Perfecto

I am a serious foodie.  I love to cook, I watch Food Network, I shop specialty food stores, and I read cookbooks as if they were novels.  Interestingly, although I have eaten many delicious foods in many lands, I cannot recall more than a few where the memory of the flavor experience has lingered to this day.   Sure, I can name my favorite burger joint, or my favorite dessert confection.  I love a good New York bagel, the traditional Ottoman foods in Istanbul, the cake-like pitas and hummus in Israel, and good Memphis barbeque.  And yes, I have been known to take a $40 taxi ride uptown in Manhattan to buy black-and-white cookies at Nussbaum and Wu. 

Many of my favorite food memories are not just about the food; they are colored by the occasion, or the ambiance, or by the company of my companions.  So when I tell you about an incredible meal I had last night, please believe me that I have tried to separate the food on my plate and the way it lingered on my tongue from the incredible circumstance of its presentation.  It is true that last night was my first night in Italy.  I was near exhaustion from a long day and night of travel.  Upon our early morning arrival we began a pre-arranged tour that had us firing our reserve engines.  We were already on sensory overload from unexpectedly discovering Michelangelo’s Moses in the unassuming Church of St. Peter in Chains.  Practically brain dead from nearly 24–hours of activity, we took our tour guide’s recommendation and headed for a small trattoria off the Piazza Barberini e Fontana del Tritone.

At 7:40pm, we were the first people seated in this small establishment.  Inside the entrance a small host stand was stacked with menus and a giant bowl of prepared, marinated whole artichokes a la Romana.  The waiters wore cream-colored dinner jackets, which caused them to disappear against the cream table linens.  When we were shown to our table, I noticed that nearly every one had a small placard declaring “Reserva.”  

The menu offered straightforward Italian fare featuring an attractive yet predictable selection of appetizers, pasta courses, meat and grill dishes, and desserts.  But ‘tagliolini e tartufo bianco’ (egg pasta with white truffles) jumped out at me from among the other selections.   A bowl of this pasta with a glass of wine was all I needed.   And it did not disappoint.

With little fanfare, my simple bowl of pasta arrived.  The pasta took on a lemon-yellow hue, looking so delicate and fresh I would believe it was mixed and rolled and cut to order.  The parmesan was nicely incorporated, probably tossed in the pan with a little pasta water until it infused the noodles with salty cheese flavor without leaving behind any chunky residue.  Then, over top, was a sprinkling of white truffles sliced as thin as gossamer wings.  Whereas many restaurants douse their pastas with odorous truffle oils, it was a treat to get the real thing.  There was no skimping on this shy fungus; it declared itself the main ingredient with a bold whisper.

Like all great meals, my dish caressed my nose long before the promise of its flavor reached my tongue.  I prefer white truffles to black ones, their glorious flavor is assertive yet softer on the palate.  The delicate pasta was the perfect platform for its aromatic star, accented by the briny parmesan sauce.  Rolled on my fork, the trio came together for the perfect bite.  My tongue wanted to possess it always, but my throat fought greedily for its share.  Little by little, the treasure-adorned pasta disappeared until it was nothing but a memory.  I dreamed of it all night.  I awoke still tasting it on my lips.  At today’s lunch, I pulled up its photo on my iphone, and then somewhat ashamedly flipped to pictures of my children. 

This was no ordinary bowl of pasta.  It was the pasta of my heart.  For me, it will forever be that legendary love that many girls find on their first visit to Italy.   I was not looking for this kind of love, and I am somewhat relieved that my husband didn’t mind.  In fact, I let him share it with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment