Sunday, November 25, 2012

Things That Go Bump in the Night


A couple of years ago, my daughter introduced me to one of her favorite television shows:  Ghost Adventures.  This Travel Channel sensation is a skeptic’s bane, glorifying so-called evidence of the paranormal.  A quirky team of investigators travels to paranormal hot spots, trying to capture and debunk accounts of spirit activity.  This show has been on for several years, recording orbs and moving shapes while interpreting voices captured in “EVP” (electronic voice phenomena) sessions.  Their escapades are made more dramatic through all-night “lockdowns,” where the intrepid team provokes spirits in complete darkness, recording unexplained bumps and thuds through night vision cameras.

My daughter grew up almost pathologically scared of unseen frights inspired by movies and stories.  Now twenty, she still sleeps with a light on, the closet doors firmly closed, and the negative space under her bed so packed with “stuff” that the buggy man would have no place to go.  Nonetheless, she rushes to see every new horror film on opening night.  And, she begs me to record every new episode of Ghost Adventures.  With every visit home, she cannot wait to begin her marathon of archived episodes.

There have been those that have mocked my daughter for her enjoyment of these shows.  I began watching with her, as much to understand any latent fears she has as to expose an open mind to the general premise.  We are all taught not to believe in ghosts, but who’s to say that there aren’t things in this world that we cannot understand?  I feel a certain sensation when I set my holiday table with my grandmother’s silver flatware, and a loving spirit when I open my father’s violin case.   There have been other moments in my life when I felt bolstered by strength I did not think I had.   

One of the most compelling episodes of Ghost Adventures featured a family that had lost their teenage daughter on the eve of her high school graduation.  At the moment her car swerved off the road, her father experienced a sensation of her loss; he was not surprised when the police came to confirm her death.  On her birthday, the Ghost Adventures team set up their equipment to try to help the family communicate with their beloved daughter.  It was a heart-breaking scene when the daughter’s voice was captured on a “Mel Meter”—a device the girl’s father invented that has now become a standard tool in the ghost hunter’s arsenal.

I assure you that I have not lost my mind.  Despite the range of so-called documented events—ranging from benevolent spirits to those who are far less so—I enjoy watching this show with my daughter, bracing ourselves against the unexpected and remarkable.   I remain fully capable of distinguishing between reality and entertainment.  Nonetheless, it is fun to relinquish my disbelief to these escapades, particularly when they take place in locations with which I am familiar.  Unfortunately, I have yet to experience personally the things about which others have testified:  no disembodied voices, no unexplained moving objects, no pokes or scratches, no gusts of chilled air.

We are all skeptics, anxious to disprove incredible accounts of otherworldly activity.  It is the force that makes us want to catch a magician in a blatant act of sleight of hand.  At the same time, I think we all reserve a little bit of hope that there is a connection between this world and the next.  Many times I have wished to linger a little longer with a love one I have lost, needing to resolve unfinished business and express words that were left unsaid.  And if this were possible, it would bring me comfort to know that perhaps I could preside over those I love even after my time has passed.

No comments:

Post a Comment