Thursday, August 9, 2012

Please Don't Release My College Records


I would really hate it if today’s politically-charged insanity gave birth to a new standard.  What happens in college stays in college.  It’s not that I have anything to hide.  I would rather not have the distraction of defending my youthful preferences and peccadilloes on a public stage.

College is a journey; not a destination.  The person I was upon graduation was vastly different than the one who entered those hallowed halls.  The person I am today is even more removed.  The years I spent in that intellectual incubator were not, for me, an opportunity to show how smart I could be.  Instead, it was a treasure hunt.  There were many areas in which I excelled.  There were an equal number at which I was not as good.  I took many classes because I felt that they should be a mandatory part of a certain type of education.  Others were required courses that I dispatched as quickly and easily as possible.

I would hate to be questioned about how I satisfied my General Sciences distribution requirements.  The courses I took could barely be described as science.  This would have created serious problems for me during my career when I managed an effort to bring to market the first turnkey electronic medical record product.  My credibility would have been seriously undermined had I appeared before those rooms of physicians with my college transcript projected on the screen behind me.  I would have failed to engage their attention demonstrating the future of electronic data capture if they were fixated on my lack of medical credentials.  Instead of dazzling them with online alerts, integrated digital images, and predictive text generation, they would have discredited me and hence the message I was delivering.

I would hate to reveal my grade in Hum 5.  I took this course because it taught the foundation of Western thought.  Before this, I had never read anything that could be called philosophy—not even in a random passage on the SAT.  I loved Plato and Aristotle but really struggled with Aquinas and Nietzsche.  In that struggle, however, a door opened to my analytical self, helping to refine the critical eye that would serve me so well throughout my career.  In the end, it was not the grade that mattered to me.  What I carried forward was worth so much more.

I would hate for my kids to see my Calculus grade.  In fact, I did not attend a single class after the first week of the semester.  It was at an inconvenient time in a very remote location.  The lectures were brutal and the snow was deep.  The teaching fellow did a 4-hour review for me the day before the final.  I was fortunate to pass the class at all, but my poor performance cost me an honors distinction by 1/100 of a point.

I would hate to be judged for taking an English class that had no papers.  It was a notorious “gut” class; twice weekly lectures with a midterm and a final.  But the topic was Samuel Johnson, and the professor, the late W. Jackson Bate.  Bate had just written the definitive modern biography of Dr. Johnson, for which he was awarded the Pulitzer Prize.  In my high school AP English class, we were charmed by Samuel Johnson stories, reading heavily from Boswell’s journals.  While most of the students in this class were there to fulfill an easy Humanities requirement, as a music major I had more than my fair share of such classes.  This class was a guilty pleasure.  I devoured the readings and hung on every word of the lectures.

It is a wise decision that colleges hold such records confidential.  Not since my very first job interview—a firm that recruited on campus—has any prospective employer asked to see my college transcripts.  For that occasion, Harvard graciously supplied a low-tech masterpiece: a colored Xerox of my course record with grades entered by hand, the Harvard seal embossed through the entries.  On it was a hand-stamped message in Crimson ink that said, somewhat brazenly, “This is a Red Stamp.”  Any attempt to reproduce this official document would result in a ridiculous black-and-white version of that message.

What can you really learn from my college transcript?  That I placed out of half, but not all, of my foreign language requirement?  That despite my graduate degree in Health Policy and the career that followed, I spent my college years pursuing a degree in music?  That I was distracted during sophomore and junior years, but found academic redemption in my senior year?  That I took a wide array of courses that ranged from the Arab-Israeli crisis to the History of Science and Medicine?  That my intellectual leanings tend more toward the humanities than math and science? 

These only tell half of the story.  The truth behind my transcript is that it reflects a young woman with intellectual curiosity who knew enough upon entering college to realize that she had not yet found herself or her calling.  As I tell my own kids, college is the one time in your life to try it all.  It is that grey zone between the structure of high school and the responsibilities of real life during which you must critically question your life’s trajectory.  Some people make incremental adjustments; in my case the adjustments were monumental.  

In the final analysis, all that matters is that you played all the innings and finished the game.  When caps and gowns are donned, every student receives the same piece of parchment.  On graduation day, the ledger books are closed.   What is most important is what you do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment