Friday, August 3, 2012

Cereal Killer


In honor of another thousand hits to my blog, here is a celebratory recipe.

For many years now, I have been making my own homemade granola.  I keep a constant supply in a large jar on the kitchen counter with a handy scoop.  I also pack it into decorative bags to give as holiday gifts.  So many of today’s breakfast foods are highly processed and coated with sugar.  It is nice to be able to control exactly what goes into something as important as breakfast. 

My husband eats this by the bowl with milk.  My daughter substitutes soy or almond milk.  I like to sprinkle it over low-fat yogurt.  For special guests, I make parfaits by layering granola and yogurt in fancy dessert goblets as a breakfast or brunch treat.   It is also good by the handful.

I have given this recipe exactly the way I make it at home.  Feel free to substitute any nuts (pecans, pistachios, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds) or fruits (raisins, dried cherries, dates, sultanas) of your choosing.  This recipe will create exactly the right amount to spread on a single large sheet pan.

Homemade Granola
4 cups old-fashioned oats (not quick cooking or instant)
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup chopped  walnuts
¾ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ cup honey
½ cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup dried cranberries (Ocean Spray Craisins are easily available in the supermarket)
Salt to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl, combine oats, nuts, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, warm honey with the oil and vanilla until the honey is melted and blends easily.  Be careful not to burn.  Pour the honey mixture over the dry ingredients and toss until well coated.

Spread the granola on a sheet pan and bake 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and stir the mixture on the pan and spread out again.  Then bake an additional 10 minutes.
Cool granola and then toss with the dried cranberries.
Store in an airtight container up to 3 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment