Sunday, August 19, 2012

Blog A Day Keeps Failure Away


This is my 232nd day of blogging in 232 days.  I am not exactly on the home stretch, however, I am beginning to contemplate what it would be like to breathe fresh air or go away for the weekend without my laptop.   My body clock now wakes me up just before my alarm in order to post my blog—which runs at 5:30am—to my Facebook pages.   I look at my friends, my stack of magazines, the pile of bills, the barrel of trash, and even the basket of laundry as fodder.  Every object, sound-bite, speck of dirt, or TV commercial is just an intellectual spark away from becoming a blog topic.  At this point, I think I could write 800-1000 words on watching bananas turn brown.  

I was never a big blogger or blog reader before undertaking this enterprise.   There are no hefty entry barriers to blogging; anyone with a password and an internet connection can be polluting cyberspace with their own “textuality” in a matter of minutes.   My motivation was not so much to jump on the blogging bandwagon as it was to force myself into a disciplined regimen of productive writing.  Taking a commitment public keeps me honest.  For me, the eye of the public’s glaring down upon me is a relentless enforcer.   Without the persistent threat of public humiliation and specter of its associated mockery (“neener neener!”)  I would have abandoned this venture months ago.  

One of the interesting things that has happened this year is that I have become aware of many new destinations in the blogosphere.   Most of the people that initiate blogs, I have discovered, do not contribute to them faithfully and regularly.   On several occasions, I was directed to someone’s blog only to discover that it had been months since they have posted anything.  

Then today I heard a story on NPR about a funny guy in Denver named Lawrence Dai—a self-professed “college student with too much time on [his] hands.”  Lawrence decided to create a rant-a-day blog based on the movie Julie and Julia, which is based on the blog by Julie Powell, which, in turn, is based on her trying to recreate in a single year all of Julia Child’s recipes from Mastering the Art of French Cooking.  Apparently, the success of Julie Powell’s blog made this guy believe that he, too, could win a book deal and a Hollywood movie contract if he could just do something every day for a year.  His effort is called the Lawrence/Julie and Julia project, for which he watched the film Julie and Julia every day for a year (that’s 365 times in 365 days) and, well, blogged about it.   As ideas go, it is ridiculous, trivial, derivative, pandering, and worthless.  His clear contempt for filmmaker Nora Ephron and actress Amy Adams must have made this assignment a private sort of hell for him.  Nonetheless, he managed to create a groundswell of hype that amounted to 1096 followers and a bit of media attention.  Unlike so many others, he did complete his goal.  There was even a public event for his final screening where interested followers attended and watched him blog.

The crowning jewel to Lawrence’s achievement is that his opus attracted the attention of Julie Powell herself.  Unlike the derision that Julie drew from Julia Child, Julie went along with the spirit of Lawrence’s blog, recognizing that it was all in fun and following it on and off throughout the year.  Sadly, however, her sendoff was not without its barbs.  She referred to “the whole ‘my-year-of-whatever’ trope as the tritest cliché of blogs.”  Ouch.

Well, Julie Powell, and whoever else is listening, I stand committed to this venture.  This is no ham-a-day obsession chronicled for the benefit of agoraphobes and inmates.   I am learning a lot about the craft of writing and about myself.  The fact that so many friends have joined me in this journey honors and humbles me.  I could not continue another day without everyone's kind support.

No comments:

Post a Comment