Monday, January 30, 2012

Son Shine

This "sonnet"  is for my beautiful son.  He is my hero.


Son Shine


What joy this child, that only mothers bear

The pain of birth and love; an absent act

As parent, give my soul without a care,

Tho' future benefits remain abstract.

Alas! The job demands I can’t forsake

As toddler you reach out to spread your wings,

The eyes and brain and sense are jarred awake,

So quickly you untie the apron strings.

The more I want to help the less you need,

Was time enough for wisdom to impart?

I beg to take the pain and stop the bleed;

Adulthood intervenes to break my heart.

I can't resist the need to help, although--

The biggest act of love is letting go.


Tomorrow's blog:  The Truth About 'Nana

1 comment:

  1. I love this -- particularly the last few lines. Am going to share it with my kids.

    ReplyDelete