Friday, July 27, 2012

What Happens in a Practice Room Stays


The summer of ’74 was a magical time for me.  Tucked away in the Piedmont region of North Carolina, every day at the Eastern Music Festival was a new experience.  I met college-aged students attending well-known conservatories and Ivy-League schools, I studied with a young emerging pianist who helped me to refine aspects of my own playing that my teacher back home ignored, and I rubbed elbows with greatness. 

One of the most exciting visiting artists at the festival was a triple-act: The Beaux Arts Trio.  This ensemble was the pre-eminent piano trio globally for over half a century.  Over the years the violinist and cellist changed; that summer it was Isadore Cohen (formerly a violinist of the Juilliard String Quartet, who played with the trio from 1969 to 1992) and Bernard Greenhouse, the trio’s founding cellist who remained with the group for 32 years.  Menahem Pressler, the pianist who fled Nazi-Germany in 1939 and co-founded the trio in 1955, remained the only pianist of this ensemble until its final concert in 2008.

Menahem Pressler is a pianist’s pianist—a true stylist and a great collaborator.  When the trio performed together, three musicians breathed as one.  But Pressler was also a great solo performer, as comfortable on stage alone as he was with his musical partners.    Between rehearsals with the Beaux Arts Trio for its scheduled performances, Pressler was also disappearing into the depths of the piano practice rooms to catch a little practice time for his upcoming solo engagements.

In those days, I was deep into Rachmaninoff’s 2nd Piano Concerto.  I had performed both the first and last movements with local Miami orchestras, but I was busy that summer trying to learn the difficult second movement in order to have a “complete concerto” in my repertoire.  The festival had a concerto competition; I was hoping to have the slow movement polished in time to compete.  Every day, I was out early after breakfast to get first dibs on the good practice rooms.  There, in the refrigerated, windowless cube, I would work until lunchtime.

One day, I was working out my favorite “Russian march” section of the 1st movement, trying to get the large chords more crisp in my tiny hands, when there was a knock on the door.  I stopped playing, yelling, “Come in!”  The door opened and it was Menahem Pressler.  Looking sheepish, he apologized before backing out of the room, closing the door behind him.  I resumed my practicing only to be interrupted a few moments later by another knock.  Once again I stopped playing.  The door opened and it was Pressler again.  “May I help you?” I asked, politely, and clearly a little star struck.  “I am looking for someone,” he said.  “Are you here all alone?”  He looked around the practice room and behind the open door, trying to discover whether there was more to the room than he could see.

“Who are you looking for?” I asked, thinking I might be able to help.  “I keep hearing someone playing Rachmaninoff,” he said.  “Do you know who it is?”  I explained that I was working on Rachmaninoff’s 2nd.  “No,” he said, sincerely enough that I believed his surprise.  “That could not be you.  This sounded like a man.”  

No amount of arguing could convince him; I was the only one on campus working on that piece.  He pointed at the keyboard and commanded me to play.  I picked up the passage I had been practicing and played a bit for him.  He said, “I’ve never heard such a big sound come from such a little girl!”  Then he explained that he, too, was working on the same concerto.  He was leaving from EMF to appear with the Miami Beach Symphony the next night.  “I just played this concerto with them!” I said.  I explained the Kiwanis Club Concerto Competition in which I had just won a prize.  It included a performance with this (now defunct) professional orchestra.

“I’m looking for a place to practice,” Pressler said.  “Can we share this room?”  I instantly relinquished the bench to the master, pulling in a folding chair so that I could sit alongside.  For the rest of the morning we played passages for each other, an exchange of which I was certainly the greater beneficiary.  After a few solid hours the door flew open.  It was Bernie Greenhouse and Izzy Cohen looking for their pianist.  Pressler made introductions, and the four of us headed out to the dining hall for lunch.  

After that, I was their constant companion for the rest of their visit.  Pressler invited my Brahms Piano Quartet to play in their master class.  It was unfortunate, however, that I had just gotten the score and was not really up to performance quality yet.  No matter.  Pressler slid onto the bench and played with my string players—a perfect impromptu performance.  When it came time for the Beaux Art Trio to give their own recital, Pressler asked me to turn pages for him on-stage.  After a week and great words of encouragement, I bade farewell to my new friends.

Fast forward six years.  I see a poster on the Harvard campus advertising a recital by the Beaux Art Trio in Sanders Theatre.  I liquidated my emergency coin jar to buy a single ticket to the concert.  I arrived early, sneaking into the area where artists warm-up before concerts.  I made my way to Pressler, asking him if he remembered the summer at the Eastern Music Festival, and the little girl who played Rachmaninoff with him all morning.  “Of course!” he exclaimed, surprising me by his memory of that day.  “But how did you know. . .?”  He looked at me again.  “Come closer and let me look into your eyes,” he said.  I’m not sure what he was looking for, but suddenly he reached out and grabbed me in a big bear hug.  He turned to his partners, recounting the story of that summer and the dueling Rachmaninoffs.  He was thrilled to catch up, to see me “all grown up into a lady,” and attending a good school.  

Honestly, I thought he was just being polite.  How could this day—which meant so much to me—have made such a lasting impression on him as well?  But there is something special that happens between people when they make music together.  It forms a bond that sometimes lasts a lifetime.  He offered me a ticket to attend a solo recital he was giving at Tufts the following evening, asking me to be sure to come back stage afterward.  When I tried to excuse myself to let them complete their pre-concert preparations, he pulled me back and offered an even greater gift.  “Would you turn pages for me,” he asked, “again?”

No comments:

Post a Comment