Thursday, September 27, 2012

It's What's For Dinner


There is nothing that says “Jewish mother” like a good brisket.  Over the years, I have experimented with different styles, flavors and cooking apparatuses.  One of my favorite versions is my friend Flo’s.  She cooks brisket in a slow cooker with a bottle of mesquite BBQ sauce, a can of cranberry sauce, and a dry package of Lipton’s Onion Soup Mix.  It is delicious and easy!!  But the version of brisket that gets my kids to cancel their plans and stay home for dinner--even causing my vegetarian daughter to risk filling her  lungs with the fragrant waft-- is my low-and-slow, oven-basted version. 

There is an important trick to making brisket.  I find that it is most successful if you do not attempt to eat it on the same day that you make it.  This takes a great deal of resolve, as we are not a people known for patience and delayed gratification.  The smells generated by the slow-cooking meat and vegetables will drive you and the other inhabitants of your house insane.  Thus, it is mandatory that you procure tonight’s dinner before you begin preparing tomorrow’s brisket. 

The reason for this routine is not simply to heighten the expectations.  A good brisket is not a feat of taste alone; one must take care to get perfect, even slices.    About 45 minutes before done time, I remove the meat from the pan and place it on a large cutting board.  There, I let it sit for AT LEAST an hour—sometimes longer—allowing the juices to redistribute back into the meat.   Only when the slab of meat has cooled considerably to the touch, looking almost shriveled and dry, is it then OK to slice.  Always slide thinly across the grain.  Remember to wait patiently until the brisket is cool, or you will end up with something resembling shredded barbeque.  It is important to monitor the brisket, both before and after slicing, as it tends to attract husbands and other wild beasts.  There is nothing worse than going to all this trouble only to have your prize brisket disappear as a midnight snack. 

My brisket gets a run for its money during the Fall-Winter holiday season.   I usually get a call from my son at college a few weeks before exams asking if we can have brisket when he gets home.  He uses the anticipation like a magic carpet to help him soar through his exams.   Every Jewish Mother has her own version of brisket.  My mother makes a darn good traditional brisket, however I prefer the layered flavor profiles I have been able to develop in my version.  And unlike my mother, who always threw potatoes into her brisket pot for something that resembles Yankee Pot Roast, I leave them out.  When I am ready to serve, I remove the large chunks of stewed vegetables (carrots, onions, tomatoes, celery) for use as a side dish (my family fights over them), then take the remaining juices and solid pieces and blend them into a pan gravy to serve with it.  What’s nice about this is that it is a completely natural thickened sauce made without added butter or starch.

About the potatoes:  I agree that every flavorful piece of meat needs that accompanying spud.  In our house, a good brisket is an occasion for potato latkes—those delicious, crispy fried pancakes of seasoned, shredded potatoes.   Latkes are a production all their own, causing the smell of hot grease to linger in the house for days.  This is why I make latkes in bulk and freeze them, placing them individually on a sheet pan in the freezer until they are frosted, then piling them into a large Ziploc freezer bag for long term storage.  Latkes retain so much oil after cooking that they reheat beautifully, providing a “just cooked” result after only a few minutes in a hot oven. 

After all this, you are probably expecting a brisket recipe.  Tune in tomorrow. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment