Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Ten Obnoxious Things that are Ruining the World

With an excess of social media, I rate you and you rate me.  But sometimes I’m just irate.  Hence this self-indulgent blog of my favorite pet peeves (which is to say, my least favorite things).

I can’t tolerate when the people working at Burger King are so anxious to ask “Do you want cheese with that?” that they talk right over the order you are actually placing.  I am smart enough to ask for cheese if I want it, but they are not smart enough to realize that if they talk over my order they won’t know what I want.

I wish there was something I could do about the random people who sit in their cars blocking my entire driveway while making phone calls, then flip me off when I am forced to toot my horn because I want to enter my own property.

Why is it that people can’t seem to answer a straightforward question with a straightforward answer?  If you are not equipped to handle my request, it is not a crime or a violation of social protocol to answer with a simple and honest ‘no’ or ‘I don’t know’.  Just do it so I can move on to someone who can help me.

There is a special level of hell for telemarketers that call during dinner time.  Even worse are the ones who address you by your first name and act as if you are close friends.  But I harbor a special hatred for the guy who, after I hung up politely saying I wasn’t interested, called back a moment later and said, “you stupid bitch, I’ll get you for hanging up on me.”

Why does the FDA require disclosure of everything that is in our foods but not our medicines?  Many pills are made primarily of starches and sugars; take enough of them and they contribute measurably to your daily intake of carbs.  And what’s the deal with packaged “Low Fat Foods?”  Their markings con people into believing they are healthy, but they are made up of mainly artificial ingredients and lots of empty carbohydrates.  Most are high in sugars and salt.

I liked it better when television was less realistic.  It was okay with me to pretend that TV people didn’t go to the bathroom.  Now everyone finds humor in a handsome guy saying “I laughed so hard it made me pee a little.”  Change the channel, however, and they are selling middle-aged women a product for that same affliction.  Not so funny!

I can find no purpose for the show Jersey Shore.  It’s bad enough that it occupies a place on some network somewhere, but please stop ruining the good shows by inviting those morons as guests.  When I consider that this show is somehow contributing to the way other countries view Americans it frightens me.  That it makes me question the wisdom of the First Amendment makes me even more frightened!

I would like to get my hands on the person who decided, on behalf of all mankind, that suddenly it was a bad thing to have body hair.  Seriously, who decides this crap?

Why is it so difficult to buy a car?  When I tell the dealer how much I am willing to spend, it is a simple matter of yes or no.  Or, he can simply tell me what price he needs to cover and I can decide whether or not I’m in.  The artificial cat-and-mouse process most dealers employ progresses toward a common goal in five-dollar increments; it is insulting and time-consuming.  And once consensus is finally reached, it still takes hours to get out the door.  They spend more time working you over about the impending after-sale quality interview than they do providing true quality service.  If you take the wasted time of an auto purchase transaction and multiple it by the number of cars on the road, there are enough potential productive hours to staff a small industry.

Finally, what corporate drone decided that customer service could be replaced with automated options?  There is nothing more frustrating than spending fifteen to twenty minutes playing menu phone tag in search of the elusive button granting access to an actual human being.  Most simple account information can be looked up easily online.  I only resort to telephone communication when there is an issue requiring a conversation.  But corporations have cut so close to the bone that they have placed impenetrable barriers between the public and their employees. 

These are the things that tick me off.  Feel free to share your list.  Or call me and choose menu option 3.

Tomorrow's blog:  The Musician Who Went Out in the Cold

1 comment:

  1. I discovered that if you call for "support" and get someone clearly from another continent that you can't understand, you can ask to be transferred to the USA and will get swiftly to someone who you can understand. I have nothing against foreigners - I work with (literally) a thousand of them, and I work for one, and with several. I treasure the one that I work for, and I respect the ones that I work with. But sometimes, I'm on the phone with someone that can't pronounce words in a manner that I can understand. I have a pretty good ear for languages and dialects. But I'm not able to decipher every person at every help desk around the world. One of my biggest challenges was a tech support call from Ireland. I thought India was a challenge, but a call from a technical expert in Ireland tested my very faith in languages. I barely got the necessary details due to the thickness of the accent (and the phone's horrible acoustics and delay - sometimes VoIP has its disadvantages).

    Other things that tick me off:

    People who can't open themselves up to another point of view (even consider an opposing idea).

    "Quart" jars of mayo that are now 28 oz.

    The complexity of appliances (mea culpa here: I bought a fancy model thinking it would clean better - it still gets the clothes clean, but now requires a factory service technician to tell me what an "F51" error code means on my washer).

    Salary bands - people who do more work and/or work harder should get paid more. I had to quit a job I loved because they couldn't compensate me fairly for the job that I did. I loved my job, but I couldn't afford to work there. The fact that HR departments lump everyone into tiny groups without regard for their individual performance really gets under my skin.

    Teacher pay - why is it that the people we entrust our children to we pay the least? We should increase their pay - AND hold them to high standards. Pay for performance.

    Rap music - do I even need to say why?

    People with their pants hanging down. Do you know where that started? In prison! It allowed certain inmates to "signal" their "availability". Eww. Double-eww. Is that really a fashion statement?

    Jersey Shore (agreeing with you on this one) and reality shows about plain people. The show "Cops" is one thing - real police doing a real job, putting their lives in danger. But Snookie? Really? She's hideous. I wouldn't date her if she had $100 bills taped to her. That show is like "Beavis and Butthead" come to life. Losers killing days of their lives doing nothing.

    Fake friends - the people who pretend to be your friend, as long it suits them (or you do something for them). The second you fail to be useful to them, they turn on you. Life fail.

    Recruiters - there's about a million liars, and they all promise more than they deliver.

    Walmart - I'm not anti-capitalist, or anti-corporate - I just hate the people that shop there. Rude doesn't begin to describe it. Worst case: 4am the day after Thanksgiving. I've seen better organize prison riots.

    Toll-booths - nothing ruins a ride on a highway like a toll-booth. It interrupts the flow.

    "Super-sizing" (also, "Extreme" flavors) - everything doesn't have to be bigger and/or more intense. I don't need "flavor bursting". Just give me good quality.

    ReplyDelete