Saturday, May 26, 2012

Don't. Do. Dat.


I’m not afraid to say it out loud:  I do not like movies in 3D.

I understand the concept, particularly the marketing strategy by which 3D movies enhance demand, allowing theatres to charge a $3 premium for a 10 cent pair of paper glasses.  I appreciate the desire to offer a technological “advancement” (and I use the term loosely) that is perceptible to the masses.  Seriously, what percent of the population can distinguish between Dolby and THX sound?  (Always, always pick the THX!)  How many people recognized the significance of the ballroom scene in Beauty and the Beast as a milestone in computer animation, where the camera circles around the dancing couple in a technique previously used only for live action?  Other than going from silent films to talkies, and black and white to color, most consumers are ignorant to the incremental technological enhancements that result in better special effects, better sound, and better image quality. 

This is why 3D is so popular now in Hollywood.  It smells like something new, offering movie makers a license to steal in a down economy.  3D is a well-camouflaged tax on moviegoers, used to offset the losses of a financially flat industry.  For my taste, it does nothing to enhance the quality of a film.  I think movie producers agree, or they would have released The King’s Speech and Slumdog Millionaire in 3D.  3D is nothing more than a cheap trick, exploited to provide a comic book quality to action/fantasy films.  It causes directors to cater to the gimmick rather than investing in more refined story lines, bigger sets, and seamless editing.  When something pops out at me, it is a distraction that brings me back to where I am sitting--in a room full of psychedelic raccoons.  It is the opposite of realism, and I’m not having any of it.

Today we went to see the new Men In Black movie.  We skipped the long lines and prime time 3D slots in favor of a comfortable raccoon-free theater with no wait.  Although I tend to favor period costume dramas and romantic comedies, I have long been a fan of the escapades of Agents J and K.  I find these preposterous story lines original and appealing.  They manage to make both government agents and aliens seem remarkably human.  I felt the suspense, laughed at the jokes, and shed a tear at the end.  The only glasses I needed were the ones prescribed by my eye doctor.  

Author's note:  See this movie before someone spills the beans!  It's worth it.

Tomorrow's blog:  Raindrops on Roses

No comments:

Post a Comment